About gravel and stone calculators
Use our gravel and stone calculator to estimate the amount of gravel, stone, sand, topsoil or limestone needed to fill your required area.
Definition of a gravel and stone calculator
A gravel and stone calculator is an automated program used to estimate the amount of gravel or stone, in volume or weight, to fill a given area. Typically in the US gravel or stone is sold by the ton or the cubic yard.
How to calculate how much gravel or stone is needed?
- Determine the width, length, and depth of the area you want to fill
- Multiply width by length (this = Square Footage)
- Convert "depth" from inches into feet by dividing by 12
- Now multiply the square footage (width x length) by the converted depth (depth inches / 12)
- This is the total cubic feet needed.
- To Convert into cubic yards, start by dividing cubic feet by 27
- Finally, ask your supplier what the density of the gravel or stone you will be using to convert into tons.
- Typically gravel has a density of 1.42 t/yd3. So multiply the density by the cubic yard to equal total tons.
w = Width, l = length, d = depth
Mr. Calculate needs one layer of gravel covering 20 feet by 20 feet at 6 inches deep.
(((20 x 20) x (6 / 12)) / 27 ) * 1.42 = 10.52 tonsThe different gravels and stone types all have different densities. Best to call your local supplier to find their densities.